Friday, November 5, 2010

"Surviving Destiny."


The sun shimmers against the undying waves on the shores of Boros.  He has not been to House Shanjian in some time.  It has always been a place of solace for him.  Davion Holmeforth leans over the pen for the bunnies, smiling. They were a kind sight to see.

Calina Tereshchenko comes out of the house with a small bowl of food and looks up "Davion! What... what are you doing here? This is a pleasant surprise!"
He grins, standing straight up. "Wanted to see how big the bunnies have gotten. And see you." He muttered quietly.  Calina sits down on the side of the pen, setting the bowl of carrots, lettuce and other veggies to the side. She brushes her hand over the velvet skirt and looks up, smiling softly "That is very kind of you... if you just wanted to see the bunnies, I could have sent a photo.  How are you?"  She asked.
Dav chuckles faintly. "I wanted to see them for myself. A photo only says so much, ya know?" He fought to maintain a full grin, the edge of his lips quivering. "I'm.... alright. You?"
She nods.  "I'm doing well. Spending a bit more time here. After that biological agent was stolen from near Beaumonde... I thought life on Boros might be safer for a while.  I've even actually been thinking of moving fully Coreward... back to Londinium."
Davion widens his eyes when she brought up the events on Beaumonde. "I'd hate to see you in any kind of danger. I'm glad you came here." He glanced back to the bunnies. "To tell you the truth, I don't know why you'd even leave this little piece of heaven." His words were tender and quieter than normal.

She leans over the side of the side of the pen with a piece of carrot.  "Malcolm... come here... Inara.... dinner."  She looked up at him, her brow furroughed a bit.  "Is something the matter? You seem... to be carrying a burden."
He wears the tension and stress in his face, a muscle under his right eye twitching for a few moments. "I might need to go away for a little while.... to disappear. I wanted to say goodbye."
"That sounds very serious, Davion.  What's going on?  You know you are welcome here. This is a remote location... not widely known."
"And I shouldn't have even come here.... but I had to." He took one small step closer to her. "I had to see you one last time."
She stands up, her eyes soft.  "Davion... that is something one says when they are going off to war. The war has been over for years."  He raises a hand between them, calming the moment. "Its not war..... its just something I might not come back from. But its something I have to do."
"Does this... relate to your family?  You mentioned the tensions with them before."
Davion nods slowly. "They've sent someone. And before he finds out where I am, I need to take the fight to them, back on Beaumonde."
"From what you said... that could be very dangrous.  Are you sure?  And why would they send someone after you?  If you left, what would be the need?"
"I don't want anyone else feeling the repercussions from what happened to me. With Brooke gone, AT&S is getting by, but we're close to shattered. Easy pickings for the right people. And I can't let that happen."

Calina reaches up and places her hand on his shoulder... unsure of what to say... she just shakes her head gently.  He remains quiet as well, a gloved hand rising to her cheek, index finger running down the side of her face. "I'll never forget you, Calina Tereshchenko."

She moves her hand on top of his.  "Davion, you shouldn't speak like that.  Words create destiny."  Davion blinks slowly, feeling the force of those words, lowering his head.  Raising it to meet her eyes, he spoke again. "And I'll survive my destiny. I know what I have to do." The muscles in his face relax, allowing a grin to form.  Calina slinks her fingers around his hand, lowering it down between them, her thumb brushing back and forth.

Davion Holmeforth holds her hand tenderly, all worry leaving his mind for a few sharp, welcoming moments. "Thank you. For you."  Calina smiles softly.  "I will light candles for you.... prayers... for safety."
He clears his throat, steps in a little closer and kisses her cheek. "You have always been too kind to me."  She brushes her cheek against his, her pale skin flushed a light pink, thick dark lashes flutter quickly as she blink.  "Normally I would say it is a part of my job but... well, you aren't exactly a client," she finally smiles.

Davion steps back now, his grasp on her hand slowly fading. "And that is what'll always make you so gorram special."
"I hope that you will come back safely.... that this will all be resolved."
He lowers his hand completely from hers now, feeling only the leather fabric of his glove. "I aim to make it so. Goodbye, Calina."
"Safe travels, Davion."
Davion Holmeforth steps away slowly, running a hand through his hair, holding back those deep feelings begging to tickle the surface, while Calina tosses the rest of the food into the pen and then goes inside.  The waves beating against the shoreline continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment